In our newest podcast series, Jel, Iro, and Gee watch and discuss the iconic 1995 sci-fi mecha classic, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Join us and watch along before the upcoming Netflix release.
RSS | iTunes | GooglePlay | Spotify | Podbean | Youtube
Opening Music: “Good, or Don’t Be” – Neon Genesis Evangelion OST III
Closing Music: “Next Episode” – Neon Genesis Evangelion OST I
1:39 Asuka is the GOAT and other general thoughts about this block of episodes
4:10 Episode 7: “A Human Work”
- Big surprise, Gendo is up to something
- Shinji actually looks comfortable
- The real world cost of Operation Yashima
- The truth about Second Impact
- NOTES: So what was First Impact?
- Someone else made a robot!
- The Jet Alone test does not go very well
- How hard can it be to get one password?
- We don’t deserve Misato
- Shinji’s new family
- NOTES: Episode 1-7 finishes the “Prologue Arc”, now we enter the “Action Arc”
32:46 Gee rants about Dai-Guard
42:26 Episode 8: “Asuka Strikes!” or “Asuka Arrives in Japan”
- Meeting Asuka
- NOTES: “This is my chance!”
- The U.S. Navy doesn’t like NERV either
- Meeting Kaji
- Extremely awkward lunch
- Unit 02, the first “real” Evangelion
- The Sixth Angel, Gaghiel
- Unit 02 in action
- Fishing for angels
- NOTES: Who, or what, is Adam?
- Asuka’s bumpin’ “Fly Me to the Moon” Remix
1:09:02 Episode 9: “Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!” or “Moment and Heart Together”
- Kensuke is a creep
- Asuka and Rei don’t mix
- Misato, Ritsuko, and Kaji used to hang out
- The Seventh Angel, Israfel
- This time, Kaji has the crazy idea
- Asuka and Shinji, living in sin
- Training Montage: Fighting angels with DDR
- NOTES: Shout out to “It Happened One Night”
- A series of unfortunate consent issues
- Real time 62 seconds
1:36:04 Why doesn’t anyone talk about these episodes and other final thoughts
4 thoughts on “Neon Genesis EvanGLORIO Episode 3: And then we talked about Dai-Guard for ten minutes”
I’m with Jel, Asuka fans are more understandable for me. I imagine you’ll also find em more common among people who watched this show as teens like I did.
Personally, I hated Asuka when I first watched the show in my teens, and was far more sympathetic towards Rei. (That said, I wasn’t approaching either character from a ‘chicks I’d like to bang’ perspective, which I hear is/was pretty common with these two.)
I forget if I mentioned it in the podcast but I did hate Asuka for like 95% of the series and changed my mind by the end. I’m sure we’ll get around to that in later episodes.
I’ll completely acknowledge that teenage boys do not have a great track record of good opinions.
I think Rei’s coldness was what was most unappealing, whereas Asuka reminded me of real teenage girls I knew.