In our newest podcast series, Jel, Iro, and Gee watch and discuss the iconic 1995 sci-fi mecha classic, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Join us and watch along before the upcoming Netflix release.
Opening Music: “Good, or Don’t Be” – Neon Genesis Evangelion OST III
Closing Music: “Next Episode” – Neon Genesis Evangelion OST I
1:30 Episode 24: “The Beginning of the End” or “Knocking on Heaven’s Door”
- Asuka is not doing well
- Shinji wonders about Rei and his mother
- Ritsuko in custody
- Shinji is alone again
- The Fifth Child, Kaworu Nagisa
- Glasses Guy making himself useful
- The new pilot of Unit 02
- Kaworu’s totally not ominous conversation with Rei
- Shinji and Kaworu hit it off
- SEELE has had enough of Gendo, really they mean it this time
- Farewell, Pen Pen
- The Sleepover
- Misato Katsuragi, Super Spy
- The Seventeenth Angel, Tabris
- Shinji is pissed
- The real AT field was inside us all along
- Misato’s backup plan
- Finding Lilith
- Kaworu’s final moments
- Shinji and Misato, one last time
- NOTES: The Two Endings
1:02:50 Episode 25: “Do You Love Me?”
- The Folding Chair
- Rei calls out Shinji for killing Kaworu
- Why does Shinji pilot the Eva?
- Rei calls out Asuka, who is now floating underwater
- Why does Asuka pilot the Eva?
- Rei calls out… herself???
- Gendo arrives to start instrumentality
- Ritsuko and Misato’s fate
- Misato’s turn in the chair
- Everyone can see everything
- Asuka back in the chair
- The truth about Asuka’s step mom
- Asuka’s real voice again
- Apparently Shinji chose this
- We’ve resorted to showing the script in the preview
1:16:37 Episode 26 “Take Care of Yourself”
- Instrumentality completes us all!
- Deep dive on Shinji again
- We’ve now resorted to random black and white photos
- Maybe Shinji and Asuka aren’t that different
- And now we’ve gone to marker sketches
- Take care of yourself, because the world keeps changing
- The world of nothing
- Shinji enters the harem anime he deserves
- Gendo’s newspaper
- Showing the script is both sad and brilliant
- I’m me. Nothing more, nothing less.
1:29:50 How much of the ending was planned versus how much was scrambling to finish?
1:44:20 The two halves of Evangelion and why they’re both important
1:55:55 Iro and Jel’s thoughts rewatching the TV series in 2019