Alternative title(s): Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita!
Manga Adaptation by Dogakobo
Streaming on Crunchyroll
An adult woman falls in love with a 5th-grader and lures her to her home by promising her sweets.
I’ve been calling for Dogakobo to make season 2 of Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun for nearly five years now, but you know what? After airing this and Uzamaid in back to back seasons, they don’t deserve that series anymore. Being Dogakobo in 2019 apparently means being at the forefront of this “adult female pedophile” anime trend and that’s a bad place to be.
If you’re wondering if I’m exaggerating the premise of this show, I’m not. These are the cold hard facts:
- The main character is confirmed to be a college age adult.
- The girl she falls in love with is confirmed to be in 5th grade, so somewhere around 9 years old.
- When they first meet, a swirl of light and wind flows through the scene that is commonly used in romance shows to indicate love at first sight.
- The main character blushes and breathes heavily and constantly talks about getting a “funny, squirmy feeling” that she doesn’t understand, again very common in romance shows to indicate she has romantic and/or sexual feelings towards this girl. She talks about wanting to be near her and touch her and actively tries to make both those things happen.
- The girl is aware of the intent of the main character’s predatory actions and initially threatens to call the police. She also recognizes the implications of this woman offering her sweets to entice her to come to her home.
So there you have it folks. There’s no dancing around the fact that this is a show about an adult woman pedophile. And we are supposed to think this is funny. I just don’t understand this trend. Do the writers think it’s OK because they’re both female, or that a woman predator is not “really” a threat? Who is this even aimed at? Creepy men? The untapped creepy women market? Regardless of the answer to any of those questions, this is an extremely bad show and you should avoid it all costs.
I don’t think you need me to tell you that the latest anime that’s has a woman and sexual predator as its lead character is bad, but there is one thing I wanted to bring up about it. Towards the end of this episode, protag’s mum shows up and sees her two daughters, plus her youngest daughter’s friend, eating sweets. She takes a look at the scene, and quickly asks the two young girls to take a bath. Protag, not hiding her excitement at the thought of joining them, tries to leave but is told to stay behind by her mother. Now, protag’s mum is visibly pissed off, and the way in which this conversation goes down makes me think that this show might actually be having an adult call her out on, you know, being a fucking sexual predator.
The next time we see her, she’s been tied to the ceiling. Finally, right? I mean, it’s not going to make this trash anime any better, but it’s something. Well, no, because apparently mum was just upset that they were eating sweets before dinner. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I truly expected the show to go there considering the audience it’s trying to appeal to, but if you were wondering how my low opinion of the show could go a bit lower, there you have it.